Sunday, April 11, 2010

chase.

today I had a thought. I've had it before, but today I gave it a small amount of time to twirl through my mind. perhaps you've thought this thought as well... but then again, maybe you haven't... so I'll ask, in a rhetorical sort of way.... have you ever noticed a little kid, running away from their parent? and I don't mean in that annoying, bratty sort of way. goodness no. but I mean in the sort of way where it's purely innocent and fun. there's something about that sort of a scene that I cannot simply ignore. they're begging to be chased. their eyes light up, and their laughter tumbles out of their smiling little faces.... a light, dancing, belly laugh. they run for all they're worth, almost tripping countless times. and not always, but often, their mom or dad or friend, who has much longer legs and could probably catch them in a heartbeat, humors them for just a moment. they let them run. and pretend that they're trying oh so hard to catch up. and then... that extra special moment comes... my favorite part.... when mom or dad decides that little johnny or susie needs to be caught. and those couple extra long steps it takes to catch up are spent, and suddenly, little susie glances back, and realizes that daddy's right there... right behind her.. and she squeals with delight... and moves her little legs even faster. and then.... he scoops her up. and sometimes, he'll swing her around and then proceed to toss her up into the air, and she feels like she's flying... up into the great big sky. and she'll giggle until her face is all pink. but then, other times.... when daddy finally catches her, he scoops her up... into his big, strong, safe arms, and holds her close. and maybe even gives her an eskimo kiss. and when she wraps those tiny little arms around him, we're sometimes privileged enough to see him close his eyes for a brief second and smile a deep sort of smile. and that moment seems frozen and sweet and slow.... and then little susie quickly wiggles and drops down to run off and play more. and daddy smiles after her. not knowing that you have a happy tear in your eye. not even knowing you were watching at all. and life goes on.

in closing, I think, no matter how old we get, we all like to play chase. and we like to run away. but the very best moment is the moment when we're caught. because.... well, ultimately, we like to be caught.

ps.
all of the photos on this blog, as of yet, are taken by moi.... just thought you should know. and I'm goin' to try real hard to remember to make a note if they're taken by someone else.

2 comments:

suzy said...

i just love your pictures. i wish i could take a picture like that. sigh.

danny.elle. said...

thank-you!! I love taking pictures, but don't do it often enough at all. and I like playing with them, like editing colors and such.... this is my friend Heather, and she's always dancing around... she didn't even know I was taking this picture! but it worked out so perfect how her foot is just off the ground and she's almost flying... PS. I think that you are a fantastic picture taker too. so don't even "sigh".