Sunday, January 16, 2011

driving gloves.


today we went for a drive. well actually we went for a drive a few days ago, and today we came "home". we went to a wedding. it was a really nice wedding. I had met the groom about a week ago. he seems really cool and his now-wife gave me a hug and said she was glad I could come. this was after I'd told her that I don't even know her. but she knew I was "the Canadian". so I like her. they got married in this littler town that kind of sort of reminded me of home. I obviously didn't go to the reception, but a few others didn't either, so we purposed to have much more fun than "the reception people".... we went out and bought steaks and made a greek salad and had some potato salad and oreo ice cream for dessert. then we played settlers of catan. oh yes.

anyway. on our way home, we stopped in this field to take photos. there were hay bales, you see. it was such a gloriously sunny day. and as we traipsed through the field, I felt as though I'd been transported to the prairies.... and August. from there, I got to drive to the next town.

now, maybe you skimmed over that sentence, not fully understanding the significance here. you see... I'm in Australia. they are backwards here. it was kind of something I wanted to try.. this whole backwards driving business... and today, that dream was realized. now, I didn't drive all that far, and not really much at all inside the city. but I drove. and nothing too terrible even happened. I hit the rumble strip a few times on the left side.... and turned on the windshield wipers when I intended to signal. and.... well... I mean, I was accidentally doing 130 at one point in a 100 zone. *whoops* that car was easy to speed in.... it just rode really smooth. and maybe I forgot to slow down once we were in the city. but my friend kindly reminded me. and I everything ended up being just fine, and a really grand experience.

and tonight, I went to church. I like that.

it's sort of late, and I'm feeling uncreative. I'm very sorry.

but my gift to you today is this: click here if you love mario kart and cheesy-ness of the sweetest sort.

1 comment:

Dawna said...

Good onya for your mate to give a Sheila a fair go at driving "backwards"..kinda :) and you are right, it looks like you are in my backyard in this picture...wishing you a happy day..you need to post some Aussie slang words and phrases.